Thursday, January 31, 2008

Slow

My computer went down a week or so ago, so I've been quiet.

We had a hearing, and it turns out I'm not someone who throws racial slurs around. I had suspected as much. A few of the people who had falsely accused me recanted before the hearing, admitting they made it up because they were angry. They now seem to feel I owe them, since they got me out of trouble. They ignore the part about getting me into trouble that could ahve derailed my career.

One of my colleagues is leaving to work at Oprah's school. Neat.

I knew i dislocated my thumb before the break. I'm now pretty convinced I actually broke it. I was hit in the hand a little while ago separating two students and nearly blacked out. That seems unusual.

CPS has no record of my enrollment in the insurance program. Thankfully, this was discovered before I broke anythi...nuts. Anyone have an x-ray machine I can borrow?

Moving on to why i teach:

Today is the first tiem I am giving them Shakespeare. It's a historic day, as I don't think I've ever given a class Shakespeare before. I taught history, then ESL, then little kids, then took over a class that had just finished Romeo & Juliet. We're starting R&J next week, but looking at a few sonnets today (18, 29, & 130 if you care). They are supposed to write an updated version of one of the sonnets, changing either the language or the language and content. I read an example of what they were supposed to do, and some thought it was kind of cool. Not the guy I'll call Grapefruit ("So what are you doing this weekend?" "I'm going to find Mexicans and throw grapefruits at them!" "Why?" "I hate grapefruits and Mexicans!")

"Man I'd never be telling some b**** that she's got eyes like the sun or nothing like that."

Glare

"Sorry. I'd never tell no girl that stuff."

"Fine, write what you would tell her. That's the point"

"OK. How about 'These nuts!!!!"

Glare

"Ok. Can I say she has a big old ass?"

Glare

"I hate poetry."

No comments: