Monday, February 4, 2008

The punishment

I do enjoy my job most of the time, but there's two easy ways to change that. One, the students can fight, leading to someone getting hurt. Second, we can be self-contained, meaning 6 hours of sitting in a room with nothing to do.

Thursday afternoon, we were supposed to be self-contained. While heading to my room after lunch, I saw two kids starting to fight. While breaking up the fight with a few others, One of the students got angry at us and attacked me. He was rather unsuccessful, failing to land a single blow on me, but did successfully punch a 50 some year old man in the face, leading to eye surgery. Hopefully, the student will not be returning to this school. If he does, there are a lot of angry kids who like my colleague, and he may be hurt.

Friday's snow led to us being self-contained all day. Today quite a few teachers are out, so we are self-contained again. It's like torture. I'd much rather be teaching.

On an encouraging note, I brought in a bad of Manga Romeo & Juliets on Friday, and some of the kids began reading it. I didn't stop them, but wasn't too encouraging, since we'll be reading it as a class beginning this week (assuming we're not self-contained all week, in which case I don't care, because my sanity will give out long before Friday). A few wanted to borrow it, and most thought it seemed kind of cool. This is a skewed sample, since the kids I tend to win up with when we're self-contained tend to like me and are not my problem children, but it's still enough to make me optimistic that teaching Shakespeare might be something other than the painful chore I fear it may be at times (To clarify, I love Shakespeare. I've read alll the plays and sonnets several times. I just expect resistance from high school kids who don't like reading)

Gave out grades today to a couple of guys, who danced around with joy because they hadn't failed any classes. yeah, they should be striving for more than a D, but it's hard not to enjoy the sight of a few gang bangers dancing around because they didn't fail African American History or English Literature. Seriously, how many of you had someone dance for joy at your job today?

No comments: