Friday, April 16, 2010

Teaching: the Musical

Had a week of teaching songs to classes. I use them to teach grammar points and cslang, but mostly to talk about culture. Ok, I also do it because it's fun.



My advanced English class was exposed to my favorite musician, Bob Mould. The basic theme of the song is nostalgia, and pining for the good old days. Lead to a discussion on changes in China, and what era they regarded as a high point. Most chose now or the late 90s for entirely personal reasons



My other English classes at the college got off easier, hearing Big Star. A song about young awkward love wouldn't seem to resonate well with young adults aged 19 or 20, but most of them act like they're 12, so it went fine. It's awesome when someone argues passionately that the line "would you be an outlaw for my love?" suggest a form of madness, as partners are far less important than family; while their boyfriend or girlfirend is in the same class.



At my nighttime job at the other college, they were exposed to the magnetic field's. Some were suitably grateful, and it was requested that more magnetic Fields songs be played, or that the songs be shared with the students who can then marvel at their greatness alone. This would be sort of the opposite of a love song, and lead to discussions of love, romance, and dating. As a general notice to furtue classes, when there are 20 women in the room and 3 men, the teacher is not necessarily on your side. I'm far from the door, and need to get out alive

No comments: