Tuesday, April 27, 2010

PSA

For all Chinese students of English; past, present and future, note that "Can you introduce me to foreigners so i can practice my English?" is a request that will be met with a "no" every time. You are asking me to impose upon my friends, asking them to work for free teaching you. Not going to happen.


There are a fair number of foreigners here, and we aren't hard to find. W e stick out in crowds. If I ask you what you did this weekend, and the answer is "nothin" "Computer games" or 'studied" then it seems we found ths source of the problem. Stop asking me to ask my friends to do boring stuff, find something interesting to do, and offer to include us. it's reallly that simple.

Note that you will be penalized further if you do think of stuff that sounds interesting, but don't offer to include the foreign friends you wish to make, instead wanting them to meet and help you practive English.

i have Chinese friends, and happily practice English with them. I actually prepare things to teach a few. But if they had introduced themselves by asking for a time consuming favor, they'd be a distant memory at best.

No comments: