Monday, March 31, 2008

ow

Finally saw a doctor about my nagging pains. The finger that was caught in a door while trying to stop a fight is healing fine. The broken thumb sustained breaking up another fight is healing fine. My elbow has a few small tears in it, giving me tennis elbow. Hopefully, it will heal without surgery. Hopefully I can avoid injuring it further. It's really hard to let students attack each other without getting involved.

One might think it's the job of the ESP to break up fights. Mine was out of sight three days last week, out sick one day, and in the class one day. I haven't seen him in my room yet today. I've voiced my concerns, and made it very clear that I do not plan on stopping any fights until I get a clean bill of health (I have a follow up appointment in late April, but shouldn't expect to be fine until late May, assuming there won't be a need for surgery). Hopefully, no one gets hurt. I'd bet the other way.


Last Friday, the student previously named Grapefruit was antagonizing a girl, who became enraged and wanted to fight him all day. He is as tough as they come, but not a violent guy (in my experience, the really tough ones don't need to prove anything), so he was just ducking her. I found out they take the same bus home, and raised my concerns. Unsuprisingly, I wound up being the one who volunteered to drive him home after school.

Grapefruit: "Is the jaguar yours?"
Me: "You've lost your mind. That one's mine"
G: "Tell me that thing at least has a stereo."
M "Of course. How else would I make you listen to country music ?"
G "Hell no!!!! I'll walk home!"
M "Isn't it 5 miles to your house?"
G "See, there's five miles walking, and five miles of country. Five miles walking is much easier to take."
M "You know, I do listen to hip hop also, right?"
pause
G "Ok, I'll let ou drive me home, but ONLY if you play hip hop. You play country, and I'm jumping out of the car."

He was kind enough to let me drive him

No comments: