Saturday, October 30, 2010

holding pattern

Haven't had too much happen over the last month.

visited Thailand and Xiamen. Thailand is a weird place, particularly if you go on a Chinese tour. Some people go there for bizarre sex shows, some for the ancient culture. Chinese tours try to cater to both groups, which creates a schizo feeling. We skipped the naughtier events, but still found ourselves watching a lot of singing transexuals. The temples are more attractive to me, despite us normally arriving at 8:00. If you ever go to Thailand on a Chinese tour, I highly recommend making the effort to skip the endless Chinese buffets and find Thai food. Much better than lukewarm Cantonese cuisine.

Xiamen is near Taiwan, and was a pleasant place to visit. K really wanted to go, and I'm still not sure. Saw a few other places, including Hakka communal homes, which were more interesting. There's something funny about a Chinese girl being entranced by rice and tea farms. You'd think she'd have seen those two things before.

Beginning to work full time at the Friend's Bar. When I first moved here, it was the first place I went where people really worked to make me feel at home. I've never forgotten, and have tried to do the same for new people since. Now I get paid to do it, and free drinks. Of course, free drinks lose something when you have classes at 8:00 in the morning.

Still plan on leaving in February. My school is good to me, but the pay is pretty low. More importantly, I have a strong desire to see somewhere new. Not sure where, just want a change. Since I'm dating someone who shares that desire, seems a good time to explore. Most likely, we'll be movin to somewhere north and east of here in China, though it is possible we'll go the opposite direction and wind up in Singapore. So far, there is some interest from potential employers with jobs I'm interested in. Looking to see who makes the best offer.

No comments: