Tuesday, November 18, 2008

classes

Had two more classes today. My classes are really long (1.5 to 2.5 hours) so it seems like a light loud, but there's a lot of time in those rooms.

So far, they are a very pleasant surprise. They tend to speak English better than expected. Many ask questions, admit when they are confused, and are actually providing feedback. Mostly I'm hearing I need to talk louder and slower. If you've ever taught ESL, particularly in Asia, it's shocking they will suggest I'm anything other than perfect.

According to the schedule, we were doing Unit 5, which is about HIV, safe sex, drug use, and homosexuality. 90% of them are women, so I was supposed to walk in and try to get them talking about the safest ways to have sex with a strange man listening them and critiquing them. Didn't happen, and is unlikely to. I'm sure they need sex education in this country, but not from me.

Instead, we repeated Unit 4, which many were confused by. It was about effective communication with some of it focused on job interviews. They were supposed to role-play out a good interview and a poor one. It's difficult to be confident and knowledgable with a roomful of people listening, but some did very well. When it was time for the bad interviews, they were awesome. One was late because he forgot his glasses, so he could drive fast or find the office. One wanted to work for a toy company because he didn't have enough toys as a child. In each class, one applicant thought it ok to light up. The best was probably the one who asked out the interviewer on a date, because "I have few skills in business, but many in the bedroom."

The challenge is generally getting them talking. I feel much more relaxed about that now.

In other news, I love pugs. Ok, that's not news, but I want a pug. Ok, not news, but I wanted to find out if they have pugs in China. In my mostly empty apartment complex, there lives an elderly couple and their pug. He taught me how to say "Pug gao" (Pug dog), and the dog seems to like me. The old man apparently does as well, as he called me over to let me know that the sign on the door says there will be no water from now until 8:00 tomorrow morning. Since I get picked up at 8:05 by a bus that doesn't wait, tomorrow's lesson my be an accidental lesson in the importance of bathing in interpersonal communication. Not every story is modelling and weird students

No comments: